camping oct. 2009

camping oct. 2009

Brendan is my rock

Brendan is my rock

me and my boy

me and my boy

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Back to Life, Back to Reality

Well, spring break is over and the routine is back. We had a great time over break: lots of park time and playdates with friends; staying up late to watch TV with mom and dad; gym time and laid back fun. On Monday Liam looked at me a little confused when I woke him up at 630 for the bus, but he is happy to be back in the swing of things.

It's the end of March, but his school finally found a replacement teacher to relieve the sub, Mr. Johnson. She is a grad student in special ed, finishing up in June, and she is hosting an open house on Thurs. Communication notebook back in force...too bad this structure will last only until school's out in May, and then it's time for new transitions all over again.

Liam continues to make huge strides in his spontaneous speech. Yesterday he got home and said " I am hungry I want to eat a snack please" on his own, without my prompting for missing words. He was talking about girls playing on the playground - when I asked him questions his answering clarity was precise and focused, with good eye contact and little repetition. Example: "Honey did you have fun playing with the girls at recess?" "Yes I had fun, girls hugging on the playground with Liam go play." We're talking pronouns and prepositions, people! This is huge!

He has started private OT again, and I found an awesome center (kind of a drive from our house in Tempe, but hey - that's the story of our lives) for Hab and Respite. We are about to embark on a family odyssey/vacation to Puerto Rico for Devon's wedding, and any anxiety I used to feel about taking Liam to new places has all but evaporated. He continues to demonstrate a comfortability with himself and an openness to embrace change, which gives me great comfort and great hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment